Starting a blog is not at all difficult or expensive. It is just a matter of 15mins you can finish up creating your own blog. But the question is why you should start a blog?
- Blogging helps you to turn your Passion into Profit.
- If you are a photographer, traveller enthusiast, technology geek, foodie, fashion, knowing health tips or having any such passion then you can use the blogging platform to share articles related to your field and in turn make money.
- Blogging helps you to add the second source of income just by spending 2-3 hours a day.
- Blogging requires no hardcore coding skills. It is so simple to create a blog if you follow this guide.
How to Start a Blog?
The entire process of creating a blog will hardly take 15 minutes. But before you start a blog there are three things you will need –
Blogging platform is a service that is used to publish content onto the internet in the form of the blog. It is called as Content Management System (CMS). There are many popular blogging platforms like WordPress, Blogger, Joomla, Tumbler, Ghost and much more. But most popular and recommended is WordPress platform. All of the top blogging sites like techcrunch.com, entrepreneur.com, forbes.com use WordPress platform.
Domain name is a key part of your online address and this is what your visitors will use to find you easily. For example ‘techfeeds360.com’ is my domain name.
It is unique and once you register it nobody else can register that domain. Some Top level domains are .com, .org and .net. I recommend you to use TLD while choosing your domain names.
Web hosting is a space where all files are stored on your website. Choosing a good web host really matters because it helps for fast page loading of your website. WordPress recommends Bluehost for web hosting.
Why BlueHost –
- WordPress Recommended and hosts more than 2 million websites.
- Offer free installation of popular blogging tools.
- 24/7 customer service available.
- Money back guaranteed if not satisfied.
Bluehost comes with free domain and costs only 5.95$/month.
Set Up Your Blog –
2) Click get started now and you will be moved to hosting plan selection. As a beginner, I would recommend you to choose a basic plan. You can upgrade it at any point of time.
3) Now it is time to pick a domain name. You have already got an idea about what is the domain name and now you have to choose an appropriate domain name according to your niche. Just type the name in the left box and click next.
If a domain name is not available then you will get a list of similar domain names that are available. Either select one of them or try another domain name.
In case you already own a domain name then just type your domain name in the right box.
4) Once you get your domain name you will move to registration and payment page. Here you need to fill your account details.
5) Now choose a hosting package. Here you can choose a plan of 36 months for getting discounts, else you can go with a 12-month plan. Uncheck all other boxes except domain privacy protection. You can upgrade it at a later time if you need it. Complete payment by using a credit card or PayPal.
6) Your account has been created on Bluehost.
Just check your email for login details of Cpanel. Get back to Bluehost and click on login.
Now as your account has been created on Bluehost, it is time to install WordPress on your domain.
1)Login to your Bluehost account by going to Bluehost Homepage and clicking login button at the top of the page. Enter credentials which you have got through your mail.
2) Once you logged in to your Cpanel, you need to install WordPress software on your blog. Just click install WordPress under website tab.
3) You will now be automatically logged-in to Mojo Marketplace and taken to the WordPress install page. Click on the “Install” button to get started.
4) Select the domain for installation and leave directory as blank. Click Next to go ahead.
Here you can also decide if you want your domain to be with “www.” or without www. Shorter URL is recommended.
4) Now you have to create username and password for WordPress login. Make sure you use a complex password. Check mark all the boxes and click install.
5) An installation will complete within some time and you will see “installation complete”.
An email will be sent to the registered email address about the login and password information. You can also get credentials by clicking “View Credentials” at top of the page.
Note that in the email you will see admin URL like www.yourdomainname.com/wp-admin. You have to use this URL to login to your WordPress account.
Getting Started with WordPress –
Dashboard-It shows you all about your recent activity, new posts, comments and traffic.
Posts -Here you can add posts or edit existing posts of your blog.
Pages – Add permanent pages to your blog like services, about us or contact us pages.
Appearance –Here you can change the theme of your blog and customise the overall appearance of your theme.
Plugins – Plugins will help you to enhance the functionality of your blog. It helps to add any feature to your blog like social media sharing buttons, SEO tools, Contact Forms etc.
Write Your First Post –
Before writing your first post you need to make some changes.
Your website will be currently showing MOJO Marketplace Coming Soon Page. You need to remove that page by clicking the link shown in Dashboard.
To write your first post you need to click Add New in Post.
You will see there is already a post there titled “Hello world!” This is a default post on every new WordPress blog, and we don’t need it. To delete it click “Trash” just under the post.
Now click Add New at the top. You should now be on the post creator screen. You can enter the title of your post in the top box and then begin writing your post in the lower box.
Once you finish up your writing click Publish on right side of your page. Now just click visit site at left corner and you will see your first post.
Congratulations, now you have your own blog.Now you can share your content with people all over the world.
Best luck for your blogging journey.
Contact me if you have any questions.